Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Parable

…from whence the name comes.

Reality? Vision? Dream? Take from this what you will…

Several Years Ago – Summer Church Camp – Friday Night

It was the final night of a wonderful week. As worship time approached I prayed that the worship time and message would reach the kids and adults in a way they would remember: something to impact their lives once home and back in the "real world." The singing was beautiful and I was particularly caught up as we sang "It Is Well With My Soul" just before the lesson. I prayed for those words specifically to be true for all of us who were singing.

The lesson was powerful. Stan was speaking about the Spirit. He was telling us how the Greek word for spirit and wind are the same. Then it happened…

Out of the calm, from no where it seemed, the wind began to blow. Not gently or subtly, but forcefully gusting through the open-air facility. The noise of this sudden gale was deafening as the instant storm pounded the sheet metal over us.

The threat of real danger in the weather caused a retreat to the rear of the building which was more enclosed. Everyone was herded to the back to try and continue what had been a wonderfully spiritual time.

That is, everyone but me. I felt an urge to investigate this powerful wind, this wind that I had never known before. I walked out into the sudden darkness looking for the source, as if I could see the wind. As I stepped out I saw a red glow in the sky, somewhat elliptical in shape, seemingly passing over us slowly.

I walked to the edge of the small lake and stopped as I continued to survey the glowing redness.

As I stopped, the glow seemed to stand still. There was a calm around me though the torrent continued just beyond. I looked all around and my eyes were drawn out over the water: a still peace in the midst of this tempest.

"Walk out onto the water" I heard someone say. I thought I was alone and turned quickly to see the source of these words. No one was there.

Again, audibly I heard, "Walk out onto the water."

I began to speak to the voice. "Wait a minute! Who’s this? And what do you mean, walk out onto the water? What for?"

"Walk out onto the water that I AM glorified."

"Seriously, who are you?"

"You know who I AM. Now, walk out onto the water. Glorify me."

"If you are who you claim, I don’t understand. This makes no sense. No one will see this, and even if they did they’d just be freaked out or think it’s some kind of trick. How will you be glorified by that?"

"Trust me. I’ll be glorified. Who says anyone has to see this for me to be glorified? You will know. Where is your faith? Just step out onto the water and walk."

"How do I know it’s you and not the devil?"

"You know. Step out. Walk."

"But…I…"

My voice trailed off and I fought within myself. Do I believe what I am hearing? Do I trust this voice? Can I walk out onto the lake? Should I even try? I stood, motionless, paralyzed by my fear, staring at the water for what seemed like hours.

"ADAM! What are you doing? Its time to sing! Come on!"

The calm had spread, the redness dissipated into twilight. I knew I had been alone until now. I turned and saw my sister motioning me back to the group to finish the service.

I glanced back at the lake. I remembered something there…something about the water.

Fast forward to the present…

I have been in the same community for 22 years. I know so many of the people, the churches, where to go for help, who to ask for help or advice, many good friends and close family ties. I have a steady source of income, albeit through 3 jobs. Those I work with and for count on me. I have a fairly nice home place. My wife and kids are well provided for and have many things to do and friends that are close both physically and emotionally. I feel like I have things together. I feel like I am in control.

I am in control. My God calls me to serve, yet I want to control it. I want to control when, where, how and who I serve. I "stand faithfully," "serve faithfully," as long as I control it and see where it may lead. When I am comfortable with it, then I do it. Show me the way and when I see it I’ll go.

That’s my problem.

Thinking back to the events of that night, the message to me is clear. Step out on faith. Walk where it makes no sense. Follow where led. See the unseen. Hear the unheard. Leave the comfortable life that has been built and get uncomfortable. Go without a map. Walk to the edge of reason and understanding and step off into the unknown. Trust and obey. Be truly faith-full.

I return to the lake. I stand at the water’s edge as my God stands out on the water, just beyond reach. He holds out his hand and says, "Adam. Come. Let’s walk."

2 Comments:

Blogger Alissa said...

Just know, when you are ready to "walk" I will be with you.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Jacinda said...

Oh my gosh! *tears* I was going to say something profoundly wonderful about how I enjoyed reading this and it spoke to me. However, reading Alissa's comment, I wanted to cry...because of the sweetness of it. It is wonderful to have that spouse who is willing to walk with us as we try to walk with God!

Welcome to blogland, by the way! I'll add you to my links!

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home